Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and Bookish. This week we are listing books we would like to read with a book club if we had one. I’ve picked a few books that I love discussing with people. Whether for shipping reasons, great characters or gripping story lines. I didn’t manage to get 10 – any suggestions?
1. The Final Empire
Obviously I had to pick this one. I haven’t stopped talking about it since I read it. Great characters, great plot, great ship, GREAT BOOK!
2. The Shadow of the Wind
Another one of my favourites. There is so much to discuss with this one so I think it would be a great choice for a book club. Keeps you guessing throughout and a great read.
3. The Lies of Locke Lamora
I haven’t read this yet but I’m doing a read along next month 🙂 which will be fun. I love getting into new series of books.
4. The Hunger Games
I really enjoyed this book (book 2 was good too, not a massive fan of book 3) and part of the reason was that I had so many people to discuss it with! I like that a lot of book series are being made into films now (Divergent, The Maze Runner) as it expands the fan base and gives you so many more people to talk to about it.
5. The 100
Whether you like the book, hate it or have no interest in reading it, I still think it would be great to read with a book club purely for shipping reasons. The more people I can discuss Bellarke with the better 😉
6. The Lunar Chronicles
Just because I really want to read this series and most people I know already have.
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week is a freebie so I decided to list some of my favourite book quotes. 🙂 They are in no particular order and this is definitely not all of them.
- “You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone forever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight and a half years ago. Dare not say that a man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant.”
Persuasion – Jane Austen
- “… few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into his heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a place in our memory…”
The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafón
- “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets – J. K. Rowling
- ““I bring you a message from a friend of ours,” she said quietly.“He wanted you to know that he’s not dead. He can’t be killed.” “He is hope.”
The Final Empire – Brandon Sanderson
- “Time is priceless, but it’s free. You can’t own it, you can use it. You can spend it. But you can’t keep it. Once you’ve lost it you can never get it back.”
The Time Traveler’s Wife – Audrey Niffenegger
- “Do you think I can stay to become nothing to you? Do you think I am an automaton?–a machine without feelings? and can bear to have my morsel of bread snatched from my lips, and my drop of living water dashed from my cup? Do you think, because I am poor, obscure, plain, and little, I am soulless and heartless? You think wrong!–I have as much soul as you,–and full as much heart! And if God had gifted me with some beauty and much wealth, I should have made it as hard for you to leave me, as it is now for me to leave you. I am not talking to you now through the medium of custom, conventionalities, nor even of mortal flesh;–it is my spirit that addresses your spirit; just as if both had passed through the grave, and we stood at God’s feet, equal,–as we are!”
Jane Eyre – Charlotte Brontë
- “You’re gorgeous, you old hag, and if I could give you just one gift ever for the rest of your life it would be this. Confidence. It would be the gift of confidence. Either that or a scented candle”
One Day – David Nicholls
- “I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I’m in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we’re all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we’ll ever have, and I am in love with you.”
The Fault in our Stars – John Green
- “I wish I could freeze this moment, right here, right now, and live in it forever.”
Catching Fire – Suzanne Collins
- “Becoming fearless isn’t the point. That’s impossible. It’s learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”
Divergent – Veronica Roth
What are your favourite quotes?
Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Here is my list of the books that came out in 2014 that I didn’t read but really want to. Quite a mix but they all look so good!
- Inferno – Dan Brown
- The Shock of the Fall – Nathan Filer
- We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves – Karen Joy Fowler
- Us – David Nicholls
- The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August – Claire North
- The Seafront Tea Rooms – Vanessa Greene
- A Week in Paris – Rachel Hore
- The Poppy Factory – Liz Trenow
- The Far Side of the Sun – Kate Furnivall
- Serenity: Leaves on the Wind: 4 – Zack Whedon
Hoping I will make a dent in this list in 2015! Too many books, not enough time.